how it works
Community shared agriculture or CSA is a food system model that is rooted in relationships between farmers, shareholders and the land. Based on the idea of mutual support, CSA farmers support their shareholders by producing quality food that is nutritious, fresh, and grown using organic principles; shareholders support their farmers by providing them with a stable income and local market for their products; and the land supports the growing of good food while in return being supported by ecologically sustainable farming methods. CSA is an alternative to the conventional system of food production and distribution where shareholders share in both the bounty and the risk of farming, while building connections with community, food, and the earth. Shareholders pay upfront for a share in the harvest before the season even begins. This allows us to purchase seeds and equipment needed for growing. Beginning in mid-June, shareholders visit the farm or another pick-up location once a week for 20 weeks to pick up their share of the produce that is available at that time in the season. Vegetables will have been harvested and washed earlier that day and will be ready for shareholders to bag and take home.
For 2017 our Regular Share is $700 and our small share is $450. A regular share is designed to feed 2 adult veggielovers generously, or a family of 4 omnivores. A small share is designed to feed a couple of omnivores or a single veggie-lover generously. Remember, you can always freeze or preserve extra vegetables to enjoy in the winter months! A referral credit is awarded to any existing shareholder who refers a new shareholder to reroot organic CSA. This $20 referral credit can be spent on other farm products or used towards a future CSA share.
Each week through the harvest season shareholders will visit one of three locations to pick-up their share:
- Harriston- reroot organic farm- 5642 11th Line, Tuesdays between 4pm-6pm
- Elora- Elora Farmers' Market, Bissell Park, Saturdays between 9am-1pm
Egg shares are also available exclusively to CSA Shareholders at an additional cost of $100 for the season for a regular egg share (1 doz each week) or $55 for a small egg share (1/2 doz each week). An egg share includes farm-fresh, free-range eggs delivered with your veggie share each week for the 20-week season.
- To grow a diversity of the highest quality, certified organic vegetables
- To continue to improve on sustainable methods of food production
- To provide tips and recipes to shareholders for using the vegetables
- To work to understand shareholder needs and respond to feedback
- To pay the full cost of the share before the season begins
- To pick-up the weekly share during the scheduled pick-up times and make arrangements for the weeks when you are away
- To provide your own bags or other containers to transport your vegetables from the weekly pick-ups
- A season’s worth of fresh, local, organic produce
- Pick your own herb and flower garden located near the CSA pick-up location
- Farm events to connect you to the land and the community
- The chance to visit the farm weekly, enjoy the setting, check out the garden, and meet the animals
- Additional farm products such as eggs, chicken, pork, beef and honey available for purchase
- The optional opportunity to volunteer in the garden or be otherwise involved with reroot organic farm
2017 CSA Registration
Thanks for your interest in reroot organic CSA. We accept shareholders on a first come, first served basis. In 2017 we will be growing food for 100 shareholders. We'd love for you to be one of them! Please sign up for a share using our online registration option below.
reroot organic CSA grows more than 40 types of vegetables and herbs. As the season progresses, here is a sampling of what you might find in a share:
In addition to the weekly share, many other great products are available for purchase from the farm
- Free-range eggs
- Pastured chicken
- Pastured Berkshire Pork
- Grass-finished Angus Beef
- ...and more
reroot farm attends 2 seasonal farmers' markets.
Harriston Farmers' Market- Fridays, 3-6pm, Harriston Senior's Centre, June-September
Elora Farmers' Market- Saturdays, 9am-1pm, Bissell Park, May-November; Grand River Raceway, November-December
5642 11th Line, Harriston
Open daily, 9am-6pm (self-serve)
Saturdays, 9am-1pm May-December
Fridays, 3-6pm, June-August